June 9, 2014 — Highlands Mansion and Gardens, Fort Washington, Pa.
Minutes outside of Philadelphia’s city limits sits Fort Washington, home to several historic properties that date back to the early days of America. Highlands Mansion and Gardens is one of them.
The property was first owned Morris family; Anthony Morris built the house in 1794 to provide his family with a refuge from the yellow fever epidemics sweeping Philadelphia.
The grounds are open to the public, and the property sits at the corner of Skippack Pike and Sheaff Road.
After completing the property, Morris suffered extreme financial difficulties and in 1808 was forced to sell to Daniel Hitner, who then sold who to Philadelphia wine merchant, George Sheaff in 1813.
In 1917, two years after the death of the last Sheaff heir, the property was sold to Caroline Sinkler, a native South Carolinian with strong ties to Philadelphia.
In 1975, The Highlands Historical Society formed to preserve and restore the property.
Today, the main house is a popular location for weddings. The venue sits up to 150 people.