November 10, 2017 — This week’s photo challenge is temporary.
“And all at once the summer collapsed into fall.” – Oscar Wilde
October 21, 2016 – Why does the third season of the calendar year have two official names? Most people around the world refer to that season as autumn, but people in the United States and Canada call it fall because as the days get shorter the sun continues to ‘fall’ closer to the horizon. The best season of the year deserves two names, and here are five reasons why:
1. Perfect weather. Warm days and cool nights are appealing and commonly referred to in my home as “no utility” weather. The air conditioners are silent, and the heat is off, which is a nice break for your budget. Better yet, the windows are open, providing the perfect environment for curtains fluttering in the breeze.
2. Brilliant colors. I’m fortunate enough to live in an area that changes seasons beautifully, and that is more apparent in the fall. Vibrant oranges, reds, and golds unfold across the landscape as the colors change, and the harvest provides plenty of colors, too. Pumpkins adorn doorsteps and gardens along the city streets, and now that many people decorate for Halloween, orange lights can be spotted in windows and strung through railings everywhere. The scents of fall are heavenly, too. There’s nothing more appealing than walking into a grocery store, while the scent of cinnamon pinecones tingle your sense of smell.
3. The approaching holiday season. It’s hard to ignore the arrival of Christmas items in stores beginning in August, which is too early I’ll agree, but it’s best to go with it. Christmas may occur during the early winter, but the buildup of the holiday can be experienced all throughout the autumn season. Of course, Halloween and Thanksgiving come first, two holidays, which celebrate this wonderful season perfectly, so there’s plenty for everyone to enjoy.
4. Baseball playoffs. In the world of sports, there’s nothing like baseball playoffs. It beats the Super Bowl and the Olympics, although I know there are some who would disagree. As a Phillies fan, I won’t be cheering on my team this playoff season, but that’s OK. I enjoy the playoffs more when my team isn’t playing, maybe even a little more. That may sound strange, but it’s more enjoyable because it’s less stressful.
5. It’s not winter yet. It’s sad that a long winter has to follow the best season of the year, but it only makes me appreciate autumn even more.
September 24, 2014 — The sun is shining and the beach is calling.
November 11, 2013 — What a splendid autumn we’ve had in the Northeast region of the United States. The leaves are almost gone now, but those still hanging on are spectacular.